Home Electrical Wiring And The Emergency Electrician: Warning Signs of Outdated Electrical Wiring | Florence, SC

Photo By xpixel at Shutterstock

What could be more terrifying than electrical shocks? Probably severe burns, seizures, muscle pain and contractions, and unconsciousness. Such electrical malfunctions more than most result from various factors, including outdated wiring.

Several homeowners in Florence, SC, are not concerned about what’s behind their walls, yet most of the time they are switching on sockets or drawing on their home’s internal wiring, which could cause major problems, especially if the wiring is damaged or old.

It’s not surprising that roughly 55,000 home fires annually result from home electrical problems and have devastating effects, such as deaths, injuries, and property damage. Between 2014 to 2018, an average of almost 34,000 home electrical fires were reported, and wiring and related systems accounted for 7% of all home fires.

Bad wiring may be anywhere in your home whether it’s behind a wall, out of sight, but still a present danger. Fortunately, many warning signs will indicate that it’s to contact an emergency electrician. Read to find out some of the common signs.

Dimming Lights

Dimming lights commonly happen when the electrical wiring has been overloaded. However, at times the lights may be flickering or dimming because your house’s electrical wiring cannot handle the amount of current passing through it or it is outdated.

The voltage causes the light bulbs to flicker or dim when your demand for current is high. Such problems are frequent in old homes because they weren’t designed to handle modern-day electrical loads. Previous studies have noted the frequency of electrical fires in homes more than 40 years old.

According to the Fire Protection Research Foundation, ensuring your electrical components are up-to-date for old homes in the United States can prevent dimming lights and other serious problems such as fires. Therefore, if you start noting issues such as dimming lights, you may contact an emergency electrician.

Frayed Wires

Visible wire damage indicates a problem with your electrical wire system. However, such issues are commonly overlooked because some homeowners think they may not be problematic. Such problems are caused by pests and rodents that chew up the wiring system, causing fire hazards.

Frayed wires sometimes may be caused by amateur electricians. Don’t take frayed wires lightly, it’s better to seek an appointment with an emergency electrician to have the problem fixed promptly to avoid serious consequences.

Outdated Insulation

This is a major red flag. Cloth insulation was commonly used in the 1950s to cover electrical wires. However, such materials usually deteriorate with time and become extremely brittle. Cloth was also used in knob and tube wiring in the form of looms with the sleeves fitted over wires to run through walls and into appliances. If you notice your home has cloth insulation, ensure to contact an electrician immediately for an electrical update.


When you smell or see smoke in your home, it’s important to investigate the issue immediately, especially when you notice any signs of damage. For instance, scorch marks on an outlet could be an indication of loose wiring inside the outlet, causing an arc.

An electrical burn produces an acrid smell, which is an indication that there is fire damage. To be safe, it’s important to unplug all appliances until an emergency electrician arrives.

Buzzing Switches and Outlets

If there is loose wiring in the electrical box, the electrical switch or outlet might start making funny noises. Faulty wiring could cause the outlet or switch to become discolored or charred. Besides the electrical box, the circuit could have faulty wiring, especially near the light switch or outlet, resulting in the switch producing a small or short-lived fire that causes discoloration of the outlet as the heat builds up. It’s advisable to have the switch or outlet replaced as soon as possible to prevent damage.

Switches or Outlets That Shock

When your switches start producing electrical shocks it may be a sign that something is wrong with your electrical wiring. In some cases, it may mean an individual wire in the circuit is sending shorts to a bunch of wires enclosed in a conduit. The shocks may be caused by a device that’s plugged into an outlet or the outlet itself.

Other causes include a wire that’s not insulated or that has lost insulation. Sometimes you may still experience it even if all the devices attached to the outlet or switch are removed. In that case, it’s advisable to bring an emergency electrician to perform a proper wiring examination and perform replacement if necessary.

Hot Wall Outlets

Outdated electrical wiring may cause electrical outlets to become hot or start vibrating. In most cases, dimmer switches may be warm when you touch, but other switches should be normal, and if not, then electrical wiring might be having some problems. The moment you start feeling abnormal heat, hire a qualified electrician to check your wiring.

Outdated Wiring Materials

You should understand the condition and make-up of your electrical system. It’s recommended to have an emergency electrician perform an inspection before remodeling or if the system hasn’t been checked for some time. Ensure to have the fuse boxes replaced with circuit breaker panels.

Also, you should contact an emergency electrician to have the following old wiring replaced immediately:

Aluminum: Aluminum wiring may cause sparks and short circuits and has been known to be vulnerable to loose connections. Therefore, it may cause gaps, resulting in overheating and even potential fires. When aluminum has such problems, it may prevent enough power from getting to devices, hence preventing their proper function.

Knob and tube: This wiring was commonly used in the late 1800s up until the 1940s and is lethal when paired with modern-day appliances. Knob and tube wiring comprises porcelain knobs that tie up anchor wires to several building elements to ensure they pass the wiring through walls. When connected to a three-prong outlet, it will be a hazard because it has no ground wire in this setup.

Your Competent Emergency Electrician

When you want to replace your home’s electrical wiring, Mister Sparky of Florence, SC, will help you handle the extensive work to prevent disasters. Whether it’s a home or a business, our emergency electricians are trusted to handle all types of electrical emergencies.

Our 24/7 comprehensive emergency electrical services include electrical fault finding and metering, risk assessment, data and cable repairs, electrical rewiring, and switchboard upgrades and maintenance. Reach us today.