7 Signs Your Home Electrical System Is Failing and It’s Time to Schedule Electrical Service | Florence, SC

Photo By BakiBG at istock

As with everything, the electrics within your home are prone to deteriorate over time, especially if you live in a home that’s more than 20 years old. There are plenty of clearly visible warning signs that let you know you require help from an electrical service company. Never ignore indications that there’s something wrong with the electrics in your property. It’s likely to become a bigger problem and could be a serious technical or safety hazard.

As a homeowner, you should get familiar with the symptoms of common electrical problems so you can address issues and prevent them from developing into a risk to your safety. We wouldn’t recommend trying to troubleshoot yourself due to the danger involved with electrics.

Instead, enlist the assistance of an electrical service, such as Mister Sparky. If you need help with anything electrical, call us today at 843-375-6999.

1. Sparks or Burning Smells Coming from Switches or Outlets

If you can smell burning coming from a light switch or electrical outlet, turn off your electrical panel immediately and call an electrical service. Let them know the exact details of what happened, so they have the best chance of getting your circuitry fixed as soon as possible.

The smell of burning could indicate that an electrical fire is developing — which is due cause for concern. Ignoring the signs of an electrical fire could lead to severe injury or worse. Warm electrical outlets are another sure sign of an electrical fault, so never plug anything into a warm outlet until it’s tested by a professional and declared safe to use.

2. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights can be incredibly annoying, but they’re usually just a sign that the light bulb is faulty or fitted incorrectly. Intermittently flickering lights are a sign of loose wiring, which is one of the leading causes of house fires. Change the bulb immediately and then wait to see if the problem persists. If it does, there is probably an issue with the actual fixture. Don’t try to investigate further because you could put your safety at risk. Instead, get in touch with an electrician from a reputable electrical service in your area.

3. Electrical Outlets with No Power

Dead electrical outlets are a sign that something significant has gone wrong with the electrics within your property. Before calling in a service, check that the device you’re trying to plug in isn’t the faulty item. Reset the correct breaker in the breaker box by switching it on and off, then try plugging in your device again. If everything else seems fine, but the outlet still doesn’t work, call an electrician immediately.

4. Non-working Light Switches

When some light switches seem to be functional, but others don’t, the first thing you should do is check the breaker box. The outlet might have tripped, which can quickly and easily be resolved without the help of an electrician. However, the problem could stem from a tripped wall outlet on the same circuit or worse; you might have a loose connection. If you notice anything unusual with your switches, we’d recommend calling on the help of an electrical service. It’s always better to be safe than sorry in these instances!

5. Mild Electric Shocks

If, when you touch a switch or appliance, you feel a tingling or burning sensation, the chances are that the wiring is faulty, or there’s a ground fault. If the metal isn’t correctly earthed, you and your family could be at risk of severe injury, so don’t ignore this as a minor issue.

Sometimes, you might get a shock as a result of static electricity, which is only likely to occur in a carpeted home. As soon as you’ve eliminated static as the root cause of the shock, call in the guidance of an electrical service. An electrician can make the necessary repairs and provide advice about how to maintain your electrics, so they work as well as possible.

6. Ceiling Fixtures Feel Hot to the Touch

Once or twice a year, we’d recommend feeling the area surrounding your ceiling fixtures to see if it’s heating up more than it should be. Not all accessories have been appropriately insulated — especially if you live in an older home. Plus, if the bulb you’re using is a higher wattage than it should be, you could be actively causing the fixture to overheat. If too much heat builds up around any electrical appliance, there’s a significant fire hazard. If you’ve noticed that the fixtures in your house are too warm, get an electrical service to assess and repair the issue.

7. Your Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping Out

As a property owner, we’d strongly recommend that you get well-acquainted with the circuit breaker in your home. It should be clearly labeled, telling you which switch corresponds with each appliance and outlet around the place. The circuit breaker trips as a result of a faulty system, causing the power to shut down to avoid accidents immediately. Overloaded circuits and sheer age are the most common causes of a circuit breaker that keeps cutting out.

If the breaker trips occasionally, it’s highly unlikely that you’ve got a major problem on your hands. Sometimes, using too many appliances at the same time can trigger an overload. If this seems to be the problem, try spreading your devices across more circuits throughout the home. However, if the breaker is tripping out regularly, you’ll definitely need to call in an electrician to check out the wiring. Only let a qualified professional inspect your circuit breaker.

Electrical Services in Florence, SC

If something in your home doesn’t seem right and you need the help of an electrical service, call Mister Sparky of Florence, SC today at 843-375-6999.