8 Situations To Call An Emergency Electrician | Florence, SC
Nearly everything we do at home requires electricity, from washing clothes, showering, and entertainment to charging devices and running the HVAC unit. Although electricity is a vital resource for everyone, when not handled properly, it can kill, injure people and destroy valuable properties within minutes. This is why most electrical issues require immediate professional attention. Sometimes it might be difficult to quantify whether a situation is an emergency, but it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to electricity. Call an emergency electrician if you experience the following electrical scenarios in your home.
Flickering lights may seem like a minor issue, but they signify a more severe problem within the electric system. If you only notice a single flickering bulb, it could be due to loose fittings. Other times, the lights may flicker once you plug in a large appliance. This happens due to an overloaded circuit. You should be more concerned if lights flicker throughout your home. If your neighbors are also experiencing flickering lights, the problem is with the electrical company. Fluctuating electric voltage may also cause lights to flicker. Ignoring flickering lights could lead to electrocution and fire outbreak. So call an emergency electrician to inspect your system.
Call an emergency electrician immediately if you notice a burning plastic smell from your electric system. Most electrical wires have plastic insulation; if they overheat, the insulation melts, producing a burning smell. Inhaling this smell exposes your lungs to toxic particles and can cause severe respiratory issues.
One common cause of the burnt electrical smell is frayed or loose wires. If exposed wires rub against one another, they cause friction, resulting in heat production. The excess heat may also cause oxidation on metallic surfaces resulting in some awful odors.
If you live in an older house with outdated wiring, plugging in modern appliances will overload the circuit, causing electrical wiring to overheat. Defective appliances and faulty wiring may also cause the electrical system to overheat, producing a burning smell.
Sparks when Plugging in an Appliance
You have probably seen a spark in the electrical outlets when you plug in an appliance. A tiny spark may occur as electricity quickly moves from the outlet to the appliance. Call an emergency electrician if you spot a noticeably big spark accompanied by smoke. A spark should come and go within seconds so be wary of lengthy sparks that don’t quickly fizzle out. An ordinary spark should be blue. If you notice a white or yellow spark, it signifies an underlying problem in your electrical system.
A short circuit is one of the main reasons your outlet may spark. If too much heat builds in an outlet, it starts to melt wire insulation. The exposed wires will have electricity running through them, and once you plug in an appliance, it causes a big spark. If you plug too many devices into a socket, there is a greater chance of sparking. Negligent repairs and water exposure may also cause an outlet to spark.
The relatively flat terrain increases flood risks in most areas. Water and electricity should never mix, so flooding is an electrical hazard. Electrical current passes quickly through water and causes electrocution. Call an emergency electrician if you experience flooding or a significant water leak at home. They will shut off the main power supply, conduct inspections and perform the necessary repairs before restoring power. Never plug in appliances that become wet during a flood before a professional inspects them. Any little moisture trapped in a device could cause massive damage to the appliance and the electrical outlet.
Exposed wires increase the risk of electrical shocks and electrocution. Also, there is a likelihood that hot and ground wires can touch, causing a spark that can ignite a fire. Call an emergency electrician to repair any appliance in your home or an outlet with naked wires.
Normal wear and tear is the leading cause of exposed wiring. During significant home renovations, technicians tend to move wires around. In the process, the wire’s insulation may get ripped, exposing the wires. Some homeowners may use electrical tapes to cover exposed wires. However, this is a temporary solution since the tape can easily tear. The right solution is to replace the electrical cords and damaged cables.
Frequently Tripping Circuit Breaker
The circuit breaker is usually the first line of defense against catastrophic electrical issues. When something goes wrong, it interrupts the current flow to your home and appliances. If your circuit breaker trips often, it could be due to an overloaded circuit. Incorrectly installed or overheating appliances may also cause the circuit breaker to trip. In case of a ground fault, the circuit breaker notices current flow in an unintended path, causing it to trip. The breaker may also trip due to a short circuit.
Hot Power Outlets
A hot electrical outlet signifies something in the electrical system isn’t working correctly. Faulty or wrong-sized wires result in heat buildup in the outlet. An outlet may also overheat if you plug in multiple extension cords. When there is excessive power demand from a single circuit, it may cause an outlet to overheat. This is a dangerous situation that could result in accidents or even a fire. Call an emergency electrician to assess and fix the issue.
Call an emergency electrician if you hear buzzing sounds from an outlet, circuit breaker, or wall. A buzzing sound from the walls is a sign of damaged wires. If the sound is from a circuit breaker, it’s due to an overload. An outlet may also produce buzzing sounds due to improper grounding or a loose wire.
Book Emergency Electrical Services
If you experience any of the above electrical emergency issues, don’t hesitate to contact Mister Sparky of Florence. Our team of experts conducts thorough inspections to unveil hidden issues within your system and fix them to keep you safe and prevent reoccurring problems. Call us now to talk to an emergency electrician.
See our most recent blog on this topic here.
Photo By BINK0NTAN at Shutterstock